English Sulphuric acid corrosion

18 replies
Goto Page
To the start Previous 1 Next To the start
27.06.15 12:05:12 pm
Up
XoOt
Super User
Offline Off
Well i had an accident with battery acid and washed my hands like every human would do but i made a mistake i forgot to put my watch off because i thought it didnt hit me there. So here we go.. i came home and took my watch off to wash my hands again and i noticed a reddening on the skin parts where i've worn my watch. Firstly i thought it would be a irritation caused by the leather bracelet but i was wrong day by day its getting worse. Now it got some vesicles and the whole part is swollen. What should i do? Is it really necessary to ask my doc for help or are there any things i could use to cure it myself?

Ps: i already googled similar thing but there's nothing helpful.
edited 1×, last 27.06.15 06:07:44 pm
27.06.15 12:16:19 pm
Up
Pehlivan
User
Offline Off
I would advice you, to go to a doctor.
27.06.15 12:23:16 pm
Up
SmD
User
Offline Off
Thats why you don't wear a watch.
27.06.15 12:31:23 pm
Up
J192
User
Offline Off
Are you typing with one hand?

In all seriousness, if Google can't help you and it's in a very bad condition, then see a doctor.

Did you wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water?
Also, some chemicals will actually worsen your condition if rinsed with water.

@user SmD: Because accidentally spilling corrosive acid on yourself is a very common situation that is completely unavoidable?
27.06.15 12:34:22 pm
Up
SmD
User
Offline Off
user J192 has written:
@user SmD: Because accidentally spilling corrosive acid on yourself is a very common situation that is completely unavoidable?


Obviously.
27.06.15 12:36:21 pm
Up
Captione
User
Offline Off
@user SmD: On the movie, Stranger Than Fiction, the protagonist was saved by a watch.

On-Topic: Don't worry. It's just a chemical burn. The reason why i said this, it's just your arm that's affected by it. It's gonna be a fucked-up scar when the redness is gone.
27.06.15 12:41:43 pm
Up
Fraizeraust
Moderator
Offline Off
I advise you same those folks above, to seek a doctor if the burn is really severe.
27.06.15 01:26:07 pm
Up
VADemon
User
Offline Off
Somehow I doubt that it's hydrochlorid acid because most batteries use sulphuric acid that is more dangerous.
Next time, don't wait before going to a doctor.
27.06.15 03:16:11 pm
Up
XoOt
Super User
Offline Off
K then.. i just thought there could be a different way to cure it on my own.

@user J192: nah with two actually. Its just a part of my arm which got injured, the hands are fine.

Ps: checked and it indeed was sulphuric acid.
edited 1×, last 27.06.15 06:09:03 pm
27.06.15 03:40:50 pm
Up
Evaldas
BANNED
Offline Off
You shouldn't ask our advice.. This community is full of kids witch thinks that to do bad things, to give bad advice is so funny and cool. Don't take any risk and go to doctor.
Destroying children's dream's, since 2012..
27.06.15 05:39:49 pm
Up
J192
User
Offline Off
@user _Yank: Since it's just a part of his arm, I'd rather suggest peeling off the skin from the affected area.

Still, seeing a doctor seems to be a more desirable solution compared to flaying yourself.
27.06.15 06:05:30 pm
Up
GamerNewb
User
Offline Off
How'd ya get that battery acid on your arm anyway ?
27.06.15 06:25:06 pm
Up
Jawohl
User
Offline Off
most definitely see the doctor, if you haven't already make sure the skin where the watch was has been washed with soap thoroughly so the acid doesn't continue to burn.

id say to be extra safe, make sure to see the doctor for sure.
27.06.15 06:30:07 pm
Up
Captione
User
Offline Off
I suggest a dermatologist, user XoOt.
Here's a case of a (obviously) bad sulfuric acid corrosion.
Warning for kids. You cannot un-see what you've seen.
edited 2×, last 27.06.15 06:47:41 pm
27.06.15 06:53:08 pm
Up
Pseudon
User
Offline Off
*Empty*
27.06.15 09:44:25 pm
Up
Jawohl
User
Offline Off
user Captione has written:
I suggest a dermatologist, user XoOt.
Here's a case of a (obviously) bad sulfuric acid corrosion.
Warning for kids. You cannot un-see what you've seen.


thats very gross, yet morbidly interesting.
27.06.15 10:31:57 pm
Up
oxytamine
User
Offline Off
Acid makes protein fold, so the dissolution rate falls. There are much worse substances than acid.

Keep your hand under running water with lots of soap. This must be sufficiently abundant and must last at least 30-40 minutes in your case. You will be alright, don't panic. After this procedure, use 2% soda solute on your skin. Soda will eventually neutralize acid.

If you feel the nerves, can move your hand and there is no open wound - there is no real reason to go to doctor.
edited 3×, last 27.06.15 10:37:26 pm
27.06.15 10:35:48 pm
Up
Yashukiller
User
Offline Off
Goto a doc asap.
Im in Top 5 joiners of usgn frm my country
To the start Previous 1 Next To the start